Right, this is a huge update so bear with me! Got a load done today and super happy with everything that’s been done to the car.
First thing was to check out what was making a knocking noise from the nearside front corner. I was suspecting it was coilover top mounts, but it appears to be more than that. Shock body/rod seems to have loads of play in it. Not good news at all, as I cannot afford new coilovers! Got a video to show what I mean.
Hopefully I can find a pair of decent front coilovers, or perhaps rebuild them? Will be calling Apex Performance in the morning as I’ve read they sell all the parts separately in order to rebuild the coilovers.
After being disappointed in finding that, we got started on adding the flexi between turbo elbow & downpipe. I’ve taken loads of photos, so I will let mainly the photos do the talking-
Original, before any changes
Elbow & downpipe off, flexi offered up next to it for comparison
My buddy Stu made a kickass jig up to ensure it aligned back on the car when we were done
In the jig, before any changes
Some cutting happened
Flanges cut off
Flexi offered up
And then many welding minutes later, done!
Fitted back onto the car
Bang on, couldn’t be happier with it. Huge thanks to to “Big Stu” for doing basically all the work! I’m rubbish when it comes to welding/fabricating, wish I were better at it!
Here’s a video with cat-back detached from system to show the available moment in the flexi joint, very cool
While he was busy making things look awesome, I did an oil & filter change
And then, whilst we were waiting for the downpipe to cool down, some wheels/tyre swapping happened. I’m now on 215/40/17 Falken FK452′s on the front, given a LOT more clearance in all areas which is good.
Talking of clearance, some of the on-going issues with having silly GeoMaster lock. DW bent tension rods & whiteline front ARB hitting the tyre/wheel
And only a few mm’s away from tie rod nut
Need to get lock stops fabricated up shortly to avoid doing any bad stuff.
Lastly, I wanted the rear exhaust flange removed, it was scraping/catching on the ground a lot
So whole system cat-back came off
Got a ratchet strap around the 2 pipes to bring them closer together, giving more clearance around diff & rear ARB
Job done, few more mm’s clearance and less stuff to snag/catch on.
Drove down the road quick and took some photos, they came out nicer than I thought.
Rear fitment looks weak, sucks. Need to look at that in the coming months perhaps
All in all, hectic but decent day’s work on the car. Really happy!